We design tailor made courses for non-native medical professionals who wish to achieve an IELTS 7 to 7.5 or OET Grade B and who also wish to improve their communication skills in the field of medicine, especially those focused on communications with patients and colleagues.
Our well qualified and experienced tutors work with a specially designed syllabus to create lessons to suit the group’s needs and requirements. The courses are based on Standard English and focus on all four skills (reading, writing, speaking, listening) through a great variety of practical scenarios and activities.
Medical English Plus has spent many months going through a rigorous process with OET to ensure that our team is ready to prepare candidates for the OET test. Our accredited assessment and preparation classes give doctors and nurses the language and exam techniques they need to achieve B in all four papers.
We are able to provide lessons in a hospitals own premises, on days and at times to suit, including evenings and weekends, if required.
In addition, we provide ‘one to one’ online tuition designed to address individual needs and requirements, targeting any unique problem areas within the IELTS or OET exam. These online sessions are also easier to fit in with busy schedules, as the work can be done at a time and pace to suit.
The main aims and objectives include:
- To provide all the language skills necessary to achieve an IELTS level 7 or 7.5 and OET Grade B
- To provide a framework that will enable the course participants to translate their medical skills and enhance and consolidate their performance at work
- To practise the language through practical work-related scenarios
- To increase effective communication and pronunciation
- To increase the quality of care by improving language competence necessary to promote trust and confidence in doctors and nurses when patients feel vulnerable
- To enhance English language in order to understand the legal duties and responsibilities of care within the UK
Whilst focusing on improving general English to specifically enable participants to achieve level 7 or 7.5 at IELTS and OET Grade B, many of the lessons are topic-based with the content covering the following:
- Patient interviews
- Discussing symptoms
- Dealing with sensitive issues
- Medical history and note-taking
- Medication and records
- Giving and receiving feedback
- Operating instructions and reading manuals and charts